Just another site

Wed 3/24

Song I like:  “Use Somebody” by Laura Jansen.

We had to get up at 5:30AM, 6AM get luggage out of the room, and 6:30AM be at the airport.  We ate a bit:  corn flakes with fresca (strawberry) yogurt and bread.  One last time for the yummy homemade peanut butter and caramel manhare.  Yup we had the caramel for breakfast on our bread.  I did remember to take pictures of our room and the facility.

Last time in Kevin the bus, the bus was named Kevin.  It’s awesome, I love that bus, al natural.  There’s no windows so the breeze just flows right in.  The windows are actually hidden underneath and you just pull them up when it rains.  We had to do the just a couple times.  I like this bus better than our regular buses.  When you look at pictures of this bus inside, it looks horrible, but it’s really not when you’re riding in it.  I think it’s relaxing!

Our plane came in late!  We first rode from Iquitos to Lima.  The plane ride was very bumpy, like a roller coaster.  There were people freaking out, but I thought it was fun.  I just closed my eyes and took it.  I loved it!  The service is really good for only 1 1/2 hour flight.  We got a drink and a box of food.  I got coffee because I wanted to try Peruvian coffee.  It was SO good!  I got 2 cups of it!  It tasted like a brazilian nutty flavor, gooooood stuff!  Then for our food we got 2 little cream cheese turkey sandwiches, M&M’s, and fruit.  Those were also good.  Yea the drink cart came around twice.  Kaitlyn sat next to me so that was fun, got to talk to her.  She got Inca Kola twice and I got coffee twice, so we shared.  Our last Peruvian drinks!  The coffee is different from America.  Inca Kola is one of Peru’s famous drinks, it’s yellow.

We then landed in Lima and we got a tour of Lima the whole day because our flight from Lima wasn’t until 11PM.  We rented a bus and had a guide.  We went to a torture museum called Museo de Inquisicion y del Congreso del Peru (Museum of Inquisition and Congress).  It was about the prison cells and torture methods.  Then we went to the Museo San Francisco (Church of San Francisco- Iglesia de San Francisco).  We took a tour of the Catholic church and the catacombs.  The bones were really weird, they were 4-5 meters deep into the walls and others were 12 meters deep.  My favorite part was the library inside the church.  It looked like a library from Harry Potter and has 1,000 books!  It had 2 spiral staircases, a small balcony, tons of old books, and music sheets.  Fantastic!The church was very intricate, the walls, paintings, murals on the walls, and even the ceilings.  Some murals were very thick just put over each other throughout the years.

We went outside and saw the President’s, Mayor’s, and someone else’s house in the middle of the plaza.  We just saw them from the outside of course.  They were very heavily armed guarded in front, so many.  Finally we got to eat!  Unfortunately we got pizza which is too American.  And to make it worse, it was Pizza Hut.  I got to order in Spanish though which was a plus!  Lauren and I shared a thin crust Napolitana pizza (mozzarella and tomatoes.  This is a note to MOM AND DAD- I actually ate one of the tomatoes on the pizza!  Shocker!  It was good too.  I only ate it because it was full of oregano and goodness.  But I only ate UNO.  Then her and I ordered dessert because we had some extra cash.  It was a chocolate one- vanilla ice cream, chantilly (sweetened whipped cream), nuts, chocolate sauce, wafers, and chocolate cookie sticks.  Ciara and Jessie got cheesecake with blueberries on top.  It was us 4 at a table.  Both were good.  The funny part was we had to eat the really fast because Pizza Hut took forever in bringing them out.  So when they did bring them out, almost exactly, our group said, “Let’s go!”  So Lauren and I had to literally chug it down.  We did finish it but we didn’t get to really enjoy it!

We went to an Indian Market next for 40 minutes or so to shop.  There were tons and tons of booths and markets.  My first purchase was a rainbow striped bag for 18 sols.  I had to bartered for it, I love bartering.  I went around with Natalie and we shopped and looked around.  We went down the street to a different market where I bought a whole bunch of 1 and 3 sol colorful mirrors for souvenirs to give out.  I did buy another bag but then when I was walking around, the strap broke.  So I took it back to the lady and she said she could either sew it or refund.  I chose refund but I really wish I would have kept it because I could have fixed it later.  I also really wanted an Alpaca blanket but it was a bit pricey.

Our last stop on the way to the airport was the beach!  Oye, vamos a la playa (hey, lets go to the beach).  We only went to the rocks part though, cool cool water, we got sprayed.  We took another cabin picture.  Then all the girls took a picture while we held our counselor, Holly, up.  We almost dropped her on her face but we caught her.

Then we went back to the aeropuerto.  While we waited, because we still had awhile to wait, I got a bottle of Inca Kola to bring back to America for people to try.  In Peru you have to pay an entrance and exit fee, which slowed things down.  In America that is already included in your price.  I accidentally bought Big Red gum for 11 sols, which is around $4 in US.  I didn’t think to look at the price when I bought it.

Our room- 5 girls

Cold showers

Sink/wash area

My bed


No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: